1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 26, 2021 12:32 PM by Shannon Kerner

Seeking military records of Paul David Nelson

Pamela Nelson Newbie

I am seeking the military records of Paul David Nelson who was a Sergeant in the US Marine stationed in Vietnam around 1967.  He was stationed, to my knowledge, in Da Nang.  My uncle is searching for his son. When he got held back from a leave absence, he found out that his whole platoon came under attack and died.  He was never the same afterwards as he would have been there also.  Any help finding any information on him and I would be forever grateful!! Thank you!! He was 17 when he joined.  His mother, who is now deceased, had to sign a form for him to enlist. His date of birth is 1/29/1948. Any leads will be so appreciated

• Re: Seeking military records of Paul David Nelson
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Ms. Nelson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).. OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and before May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!