1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2021 9:21 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking response to WWI Master Index Card Question

    Mildred Freeney-Hilton Newbie

      My question is about how to find death information for my (African-American) grandfather Clarence Arthur Harris.  His Service Number is 3963433. He was a Private in the 38 Co 10  TR HN. The right side of the card has numbers next to the letter C:  XC17795738.  At the bottom next to the letter T are the following numbers 3 979 310.  He died in 1922 and he was born March 22, 1890 in Columbia, Maury, Tennessee. His Master Index Card has a Columbia, Tennessee address (1115 S. Glade Street). The staff at the Tennessee State Archives checked their records and they said he did not die in Tennessee. I thought maybe if he had a pension the military would have a record of where he lived outside of Tennessee. Thank you for your help.

        • Re: Seeking response to WWI Master Index Card Question
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Freeney-Hilton,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you review the History Hub Blog Veterans Administration Master Index - Key to Codes and Prefixes for definitions to all of the codes and prefixes used in this series.  The address on the card may have been either the address for correspondence when the claim was first filed or where the final correspondence was sent to.  To know which, you would have to consult his pension file. 


          The National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) has custody of the Deceased Veterans Claims (XC Files), 10/1917 - ca. 1955 in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 152) that includes files XC 2 to XC 3990713.  A typical file will include documentary evidence to support veterans' claims to various types of benefits and may include military discharge documents, military and old age pensions, insurance applications, records of veterans' medical care, correspondence, survivors' benefits documents, birth and death certificates, and legal documents. These files are arranged by their XC number and cases that were inactive as of 1955 have been accessioned into the National Archives.  To access these records, provide as much information as possible such as the veteran’s complete name (including alternate spellings), service number, dates of birth & death, and email this information to RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          If the pension file was still active in 1955, please file a FOIA request with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  All questions regarding VA’s FOIA procedures and fees may be emailed to VACOFOIAService@va.gov.


          We hope this information is helpful.



          Holly Rivet

          2 people found this helpful