2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2021 6:09 PM by Zaf Basha

Seeking old Military Specifications and contract awards regarding watches

Zaf Basha Newbie

I'm in the process of writing a book on US military watches and had a question regarding how to dig up old Military Specifications. I've been able to find some old ones (primarily WW2 and before), but the mid-century ones that typically start with "MIL-W" have been difficult to source. This is a watch made to Military Specification MIL-W-3818A (red Arrow)  and produced under contract DA36-038-ORD-2150(M) (Blue line). MIL-W-3818A dates to approximately 1956 and I'd imagine the contract award shortly thereafter. Any idea where to look? It would be great to find both the military specifications and documents pertaining to the contract or contract award. As an example I provide this one, engraved on the watch itself:

• Re: Seeking old Military Specifications and contract awards regarding watches
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Basha,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Government Publications, 1861 - 1992 in the Publications of the U.S. Government (Record Group 287) that may include a copy of Military Specification MIL-W-3818A filed under SUDOC number D1.12 (Military Specifications) somewhere in Entry UD 14, Boxes D98-D106.  For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Please note that according to U.S. Army disposition schedules, pre-November 1966 contracts and the great majority of the correspondence relating to them were systematically destroyed by the Army once their administrative use ended.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

• Re: Seeking old Military Specifications and contract awards regarding watches
            Zaf Basha Newbie

Thanks so much. I'm local to College park, so I can drive there and see what I can find once they reopen.

Stay safe,

Zaf