5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2021 11:22 AM by Michael Wnek

Help me transcribe this!

Michael Wnek Newbie

Hi I’m having trouble transcribing this. Can you guys help me out?

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/7480082/3/public?contributionType=transcription#.YA4z2gbhb60.link

• Re: Help me transcribe this!
          Jack Robinson Wayfarer

Hello Mr. Wnek,

I am looking over the document you are working with and would like to change the orientation of the document to help me read it. To help understand the writing better, i am struggling to read it because it is not written on a North South Axis. Example of North South is what we are seeing when we type.

Our letter are more straight up and down.

In the letter we are working to transcribe the writer seems to write on a South to Northeast, all most South to East axis. If i understand the origin the writer was probably writing as fast as he could.

Is there away to rotate the document incrementally or move my visual perspective to the writing to compensate for the writers writing style?

Thank you for your time,

Jack

Michael Wnek Newbie

Thanks Mr. Robinson!

That sounds very helpful. In other documents I have transcribed I have seen different styles and orientations and I think the most important thing is to ensure that we transcribed the words correctly. If you feel that it would be better to change orientation than that works as well. We are not trying to replicate the writer’s style necessarily just the words.

Thank you for reaching out,

Michael

Jack Robinson Wayfarer

Case File of E.A.Allen (Oregon)

Believe it would read as:

1. At the office of the  county clerk, where an [illegible handwriting] R1-(business) was being done by [ illegible] R2-(matter) of the fact that a law of this state requires such services to be performed

My Supporting Notes:

R1) Reference the previous section / Pursuant to instructions / The first  2 letters of "instructions" match the [illegible handwriting]. I believe the illegible handwriting to be "business".

R1) Reference "Washington, DC" the "n" used in Washington supports the same writing style the "in" that shows up in the writing style used to spell "instructions"

used in the starting paragraph, "Pursuant to instructions" phrase.

R1) Reference- the "notaries Public" phrase supports the writing style for "B". The "B" used in "puBlic" matches the same writing style at the beginning of [illegible handwriting].

Still look for more references for [illegible].

I hope I did this right, I am a newbie. Let me know if I need to do things differently.

I hope this helps,

Jack

Jack Robinson Wayfarer

Hello Mr. Wnek,

I tried a couple of time to get the document to download so I can work on it somemore. No luck in linking to the document viewing tool.

Please advise,

Jack