8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2021 6:23 PM by Mindy Fink

Seeking SS Kronprinz Wilhelm Ship's Log for 1902

Mindy Fink Newbie

Hi, I am researching my grandfather who immigrated from Austria to US. I am trying to research his genealogy before he immigrated to the US. It has been a nightmare because his first name spelling changed in records. Probably because of his heavy accent and whomever recorded the original record misspelled it. I have two questions that I am trying to answer: (1) His US Naturalization record states he immigrated from Bremen, Germany to NYC on vessel SS Kronprinz Wilhelm on May 28,1902. I cannot find that ship's passenger list or anything about that ship in 1902, can you? and (2) His country of origin seems to change over the years. I know him to be from Austria.  His1918 WWI Draft Registration that says he is from Hungary. I am uncertain this is him unless he got confused with changing Austrian borders. The birth date on this WWI Draft Registration is the same as my grandfather's. The first name is misspelled replacing an "a" with an "o". Familysearch.org returns only one result when I search his name with the "o".

The 1920 US Census states his "birthplace" is Austria as was his father and mother. His 1920 Naturalization states his "last foreign address" was Austria. That also states his "Nationality" is German and "Birthplace" was Untervarmberg Austria.  The 1930 Census "Birthplace" = Austria. The 1940 Census "Birthplace" = Germany.  Can anyone explain the changes in "birthplace"?