2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2021 1:48 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking military records of George Edward Driver

    Sandy Arbuckle Newbie

      I am seeking information about my Great-grandfather's WWII military records. His name is George Edward Driver.

        • Re: Seeking military records of George Edward Driver
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Can you provide some additional details like DOB, place of birth.




          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking military records of George Edward Driver
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

            Dear Ms. Arbuckle,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database but were unable to locate a file for the full name George Edward Driver. However, we did identify 18 files for individuals named George Driver, some of whom have either the middle initial “E” or no middle initial listed. If you have additional information about your great grandfather, such as when or where he enlisted, you may be able to identify his specific enlistment record. Then, please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


            If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your great grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Additionally, the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) and the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338). Military unit files among these records consist mostly of historical reports, after action reports, unit journals, and general orders. Because the files are arranged hierarchically, identification of the specific unit (i.e., division, regiment, and battalion) and date of interest are necessary before a search can be conducted. They do not include personnel or medical information, and we do not have a name index to these records. If you know or learn the unit your great grandfather served in, you may be able to learn more information about his unit’s activities during the war. These records have not been digitized. Please contact RDT2 at archives2reference@nara.gov for information about and access to these records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful