1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2021 4:04 PM by Sylvia Naylor

    Seeking marriage certificate of WWII war bride

    MaryEllen Cunningham Newbie

      How may I find a copy of a marriage certificate of a German war bride?  My Uncle Denver P Smith married Aunt Betty and brought her over. Both have passed.

        • Re: Seeking marriage certificate of WWII war bride
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Ms. Cunningham,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of your uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). It may include information about his marriage. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 and for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          Also, it is possible that your uncle filed a Certificate of Witness to Marriage Abroad with the Department of State. You may request a copy of such certificates directly from them. Also, marriages in Germany require the officiant to register the marriage at the local state registry office. Please contact the Germany Service for a marriage certificate from all of the state registry offices.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!