2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2021 11:55 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking investigation of maltreatment of American merchants overseas

Mark Rice Newbie

Seeking information on 19th Century US foreign relations. I'm interested in finding out about a governmental committee (congressional or State Department, I'm not sure which) established around 1880 to investigate allegations of maltreatment of American businesses or merchants working in other countries.

• Re: Seeking investigation of maltreatment of American merchants overseas
          Mark Rice Newbie

Slight modification to my question: The commission would have been established in the 1870s, but probably near the end of the decade. Here's a photo showing what I know about it.

• Re: Seeking investigation of maltreatment of American merchants overseas
              Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear Mr. Rice,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you review the U.S. Congressional Serial Set, commonly referred to as the Serial Set as it may contain information of interest to your research. The Serial Set contains the House and Senate Documents and the House and Senate Reports. The reports are usually from congressional committees dealing with proposed legislation and issues under investigation. The documents include all other papers ordered printed by the House or Senate. Documents cover a wide variety of topics and may include reports of executive departments and independent organizations, reports of special investigations made for Congress, and annual reports of non-governmental organizations. A digital copy of the Serial Set may be viewed on the HathiTrust Digital Library’s website. For more information about congressional records, please contact the Center for Legislative Archives (LL) at legislative.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from LL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!