4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2021 8:20 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking information on Company E, 1st Infantry

Cameron Weber Newbie

I am looking to acquire information on a Springfield 1884 Trapdoor rifle Serial #507585 and its possible unit markings. On the buttstock is says "CO E. 1ST INF." then the rifle number of 20, on the other side of the stock is a white painted E. My suspicion is that it was manufactured in 1890 based off of cartouche and that it was sent to Company E 1st Infantry Regiment during their time at Pine Ridge Agency during the Ghost Dance War, but I am not certain as I have no information other than suspicions to back that up. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

• Re: Seeking information on Company E, 1st Infantry
          Lisa Sharik Adventurer

Mr. Weber:

Your M1884 Springfield was manufactured in late 1891. The M1884 serial numbers for 1891 begin with 490,000 and the ones for 1892 begin with 519,000. Many of these 1884's were issued to US and Volunteer Guard for the Spanish American War.

The number "20" is a likely a "rack" number which allowed Company E to keep track of this particular weapon its their armory.

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military  Forces Museum

2 people found this helpful
              Cameron Weber Newbie

Many thanks for the information! Is there any way to track or contact someone who can possibly provide to which “1st Infantry” this rifle went to? I am aware of the state 1st infantry volunteers and regular Us army 1st infantry regiment but past that I have no knowledge. I know that a lot of records were destroyed after admin use but never know if one managed to stick around after the fact. All in all cool rifle though with a cool rod bayonet!  Thanks again!

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Weber,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We concur with the responses provided by Ms. Sharik.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 9 record series in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that were created by the 1st Infantry Regiment unit during the 1890s when the rifle would have been in use. For more information, Please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at Archives1reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate specific records of Company E.  Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the regiment.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!