1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2021 1:59 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking rosters of 436th Signal Heavy Construction Battalion (Aviation)

Curtis G Wong Newbie

I am seeking rosters of a US Army Occupation of Japan unit during 1945. It's the 436th Signal Heavy Construction Battalion (Aviation). I have many 2 1/4" Photos of soldiers in this unit. I am trying to match photos of soldiers from 1945 to duty roster names to get photographs to their family members. I have have contacted family members of two soldiers to provide them with high quality photos of their family member who was a soldier in the US Occupation along with my father, Wayne Wong.

Entry Gate for 436th SIG HV Const BN AVN photograph

• Re: Seeking rosters of 436th Signal Heavy Construction Battalion (Aviation)
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Wong,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities, we suggest using the morning reports. Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.  

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!