3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2021 1:47 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military service of Sidney Albertson

    William White Newbie

      Sidney Albertson is my grandfather. I have his Veteran's Compensation Application which indicates that he served overseas from Dec 1917 to Aug 1919.  It indicates that he was involved in all of the major engagements in France during that period.  His serial number was 132848.  He was promoted to Sargent in May 1918.  However, I cannot find what army unit he served with. 

        • Re: Seeking military service of Sidney Albertson
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information, he was with the Battery A  4th Field Artillery (FA) and during WW1 HQ 2nd Field Artillery Bde






          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military service of Sidney Albertson
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. White,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Please note that the passenger list located by Mr. Schneider reflects  his assignment as of 30 Jul 1919 when he departed from Brest, France to return to the United States.  At this time he was assigned to the headquarters company of the brigade as a whole, not to a specific regiment within the brigade.The VA card indicates that he served in Battery A of the 4th Field Artillery Regiment.  It is possible that he was in both units during the course of his service, as it was not unusual for soldiers to transfer between units.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records). In block 5a please be sure to include his service number of 132848, 6/6/1917 for Date Entered, and 8/13/1919 as the Date Released. Please note that it is not necessary to include his Social Security Number, as it did not exist in the 1910s and were therefore not used on military records. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes the 15th Field Artillery Regiment in Entry P 1241-2 boxes 64-67, as well as Entry P 1241-2 4th Field Artillery Brigade in Entry P 1241-2 boxes 43-45. Additionally, we located Records of Field Artillery Brigades, 1917 - 1919 in Record Group 120 that includes records of the 2nd and 4th Field Artillery Brigades, and the Records of Field Artillery Regiments Numbers 1 through 351, 1912-1930 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that include records of the 4th Field Artillery Regiment. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            The pension file that is associated with the VA Master Index Card which Mr. Schneider located for you is still in the custody of the Department of Veteran Affairs. See https://www.va.gov/foia/ for information about filing FOIA requests with the VA.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful