4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2021 3:37 PM by Holger Droessler

How do I request image reproductions while NARA-DC is closed?

Holger Droessler Newbie

I need several images reproduced from record groups in NARA-DC for a forthcoming book. Do NARA staff or independent researchers have access to image reproductions while the archives are closed due to Covid-19? Thanks!

• Re: How do I request image reproductions while NARA-DC is closed?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Droessler,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please double-check the National Archives Catalog to make sure the image you seek has not been digitized and is not available.

We hope this is helpful.

1 person found this helpful
              Holger Droessler Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. When do you expect to reopen and what's the backlog at this point? Also, would I still be able to get permission to use images from NARA that I took myself some time ago? Thanks so much

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Droessler,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

The National Archives does not have a timeline for reopening. Decisions regarding the opening and reopening of individual NARA facilities and the resumption of specific services are being made on a case by case basis according to constantly changing local health conditions; the risk assessments and risk mitigation plans associated with specific agency functions; and guidance from OMB, OPM, and federal, state and local health authorities.  Therefore we can not at this time provide you with any estimate as to when reproduction services will once again be available either generally or for specific units. We also can not provide any estimates of how long it will take to work through the backlog when reproduction services resume. For updates about NARA’s response to the global pandemic, please review https://www.archives.gov/coronavirus.

Records produced by and photographs that were taken by United States government employees, either military or civilian, working in an official capacity, are considered to be in the public domain. Permission is not required to use these items.  However, records produced and photographs that were taken by private citizens or by organizations other than the United States government may be subject to copyright laws. It is the user's responsibility to identify the copyright owner and to obtain all necessary clearances before making commercial, broadcast, or other use of this material.  If you decide to use the photograph, drawing, or document in your publication, we request that you cite it properly following the guidelines in General Information Leaflet No. 17 on our website.

We hope this is helpful.

2 people found this helpful