1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2021 8:50 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking deck logs of USS Walker (DD-517)

Thomas Benz Newbie

I am seeking the deck logs for the USS Walker (DD-517) for April of 1966 (Vietnam).  The USS Walker is not in the archives online index.  I keep hearing rumors that the Deck logs to many more ships have been scanned but have not been uploaded tot he Archives Site?  Anyone have any ideas?  I am assisting a veteran with Parkinson's for an Agent Orange Claim.  I also have the name of the USS Walker's Captain, CDR J.J.. McGrath, at the time and if I could locate him and get a letter to attest to the USS Walker receiving small arms fire from shore that would work.

• Re: Seeking deck logs of USS Walker (DD-517)
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Benz,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of the USS Walker (DDE-517) for April 1966. This deck log has been digitized and may be viewed online using the Catalog. We also located additional deck logs for the USS Walker should you need them. Please note that the Catalog does not always list logs in chronological order.  When viewing logs for each month, you may wish to click on the red PDF icon under the “Documents” heading. This will allow you to view the entire month’s logs as a single file. Once you have done so, you may use the blue download button to download the PDF.  Due to the size of the files involved, it may take a little while for them to load in full. Please be patient.  If you have any problems accessing these files, please email Catalog@nara.gov.

Additionally, we suggest that you review the Update on Availability of Vietnam Era (1956-1978) US Navy Deck Logs for general information on this topic.

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) does not provide services to locate living individuals.  The records in the custody of NARA were typically transferred from other Federal agencies at least 20-30 years after they were created and used.  Therefore, NARA records are not usually helpful in providing current information about individuals. Please review NARA’s Locating Veterans and Service Members web pages for some ideas.

Lastly, you may wish to contact the Blue Water Navy Association for assistance or advice regarding Agent Orange claims as well as locating former Navy personnel.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!