4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2021 10:56 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking military records of A B Patrick

    Suzanne Patrick Newbie

      My father, A. B. Patrick, joined the Army Air Corp on 26 May 1939 and was discharged on 7 Oct 1945. His separation base was Chanute Field, Illinois. His organization was listed as 3502nd AAF Bass Unit, unassigned squadron. I found pilot wings and it appears his discharge papers once listed dependents. Thank you for your assistance.

        • Re: Seeking military records of A B Patrick
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Ms. Patrick,


          Here is some information to help you. Looks like the AAD site for ww2 registers has his birth year as 45 but I found 1919 please see below not sure if this was an error when they third party sites received this information.





          Name:A B Patrick
          Name (Original):PATRICK A B
          Event Type:Military Service
          Event Date:26 May 1939
          Term of Enlistment:Enlistment for the Panama Canal Department
          Event Place:Carlisle, Kentucky, United States
          Birth Year:45
          Education Level:2 years of college
          Civilian Occupation:596
          Marital Status:Widower or widow, without dependents
          Army Branch:54
          Army Component:Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
          Serial Number:06913809
          Affiliate ARC Identifier:1263923
          Box Film Number:00421.35



          Name:A B Patrick
          Event Type:Birth
          Event Date:09 Sep 1919
          Event Place:Magoffin, Kentucky, United States
          Mother's Name:Alice Cunningham



          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of A B Patrick
            Lisha Penn Navigator

            Dear Ms. Patrick,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and were born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). There are two types of records: cards and classification histories.  The individual Draft Registration Card (SSS Form 1) may contain information such as: name, Selective Service registration number, age, date and place of birth, ethnicity, place of residence at time of registration and basic physical description. The Classification History (SSS Form 102) may contain: name; date of birth; classification and date of mailing notice; date of appeal to the board; date and results of armed forces physical examination; entry into active duty or civilian work in lieu of induction (may include date, branch of service entered and mode of entry, such as enlisted or ordered); date of separation from active duty or civilian work; and general remarks. Please complete a Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records and email it to RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            You may wish to search Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org for your father’s World War II Draft Card for young men. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


            Unit histories and supporting documents of Army Air Force units are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112-6424.  These files often include historical reports.  Please call (334) 953-5697 or write to that office for further information concerning these records. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!