1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2021 7:08 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking my father's military records

    Dominique DiMaggio Newbie

      I need my father's military records. He was stationed in France in the early 1950. I was born in France. I was not born on a military facility. I have a French birth certificate. I have been a resident of the US since infancy. I registered to vote at 18; registered for the draft at that time; have always lived and gone to school in the US; have never had a passport. In order to get a driver's license in the state that I've moved to I will need proof of citizenship. In order to fill out the "Application for Citizenship" I must prove that my father was stationed in France at that time. I live in rural area and will be homebound without driver's license, which for me constitutes an emergency.

        • Re: Seeking my father's military records
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. DiMaggio,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you contact the U.S. Department of State to request a Consular Report of Birth Abroad form (FS-240).  Please see How to Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)


          We also suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

          We hope this information is helpful.



          Holly Rivet