4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2021 11:11 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking U.S. Army Engineer unit in Italy

    Russel Hilliker Newbie

      I'm looking for what Engineer units were operating in Northern Italy. Udine, Italy in late 1945 to 1946. My father transferred from the 34th Infantry Division to an engineer unit at that time, but I have no records of which unit he was assigned to.

        • Re: Seeking U.S. Army Engineer unit in Italy
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Mr. Hilliker,


          Do you have any additional information on your father Name, DOB, place of birth there are many people here that are able to assist.





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking U.S. Army Engineer unit in Italy
            Diane Schwaighofer Adventurer

            My father was also an engineer prior to enlisting in WWII.  He was also stationed in Iowa.  I'm unclear whether the 34th infantry was stationed at Ft. Dodge in Johnson City or the Bombardier Training School in Sioux City.  I also don't know if my father was part of the Engineering division or the Army's Air Corps.  It was suggested that he may have been part of the Frederick Mitchell Crew and may have participated in the Casey Jones Project.  Don't know if any of that has been shared with you, but if not, it might be worth looking into.

            • Re: Seeking U.S. Army Engineer unit in Italy
              Jason Atkinson Ranger

              Dear Mr. Hilliker,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for soldiers of the U.S. Army who served during World War II and were separated before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Station Lists, 1942 - 1953 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that should be useful in determining which units were assigned to these areas. We also located World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in Record Group 407 that may include records of these units. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.


              Copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912 - 1943 and 1947 - 1959 as well as morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For information about these records, please contact  RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!