1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2021 12:21 PM by Shannon Kerner

Seeking citations for John J Hall

John Hall Newbie

My father, John J. Hall, served in the 1st Division, 16th Regiment, 3rd Battalion, Company L during WWII. I have my father's medals and the certificates but no citations and I want to find out more about him. He received a purple heart, bronze star and silver star and participated in the North African, Sicily, D-Day, Hurtgen Forrest, and the Battle of the Bulge.

• Re: Seeking citations for John J Hall
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Mr. Hall,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes file units titled 16th Infantry Regiment: General Orders and 1st Infantry Division: General Orders during the 1940s. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes general orders of the 1st Infantry Division and the 16th Infantry Regiment during WWII. General orders vary in content. The more prestigious the award, the more likely there will be a description of the action taken by the recipient. For information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate specific records of 3rd Battalion or Company L.  Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the regiment.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!