2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2021 9:33 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking records of John Schuyler & family

    Tamala Robinson Newbie

      I would like to make connections with my great grandfather, John Schuyler, and family. I run into a dead end with Ancestry due to the fact that my grandfather was adopted by the Carver family. I have been looking for my Native ancestors for years now and I come to a dead end. I have gotten up to the point of finding out that my great grandfather John's biological father, my great-great grandfather's name was Cornelius Schuyler and my great-great-grandmother was Rachal.  I have been using Ancestry.com but I have two different birth dates, one is 29 May 1875 and the other is 20 July 1876.  I have found that I have 1 great-great uncle Isaac and 4 great-great aunts Eve, Rachel, Lavinia, and Emily. But the information stops there.  I don't know where to find the records of the adoption and connecting with family.  I also would love to know which Oneida tribe my grandfather was from. Please can you help.


        • Re: Seeking records of John Schuyler & family
          Alice Lane Navigator

          Hi Tamala

          Welcome to History Hub


          Are these birthdates that you gave for John or Cornelius "29 May 1875 and the other is 20 July 1876?" Do you have any places of residence for anyone on your list?


          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer

          • Re: Seeking records of John Schuyler & family
            Cara Jensen Tracker

            Dear Ms. Robinson,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The Federal Government does not ordinarily create or maintain birth, adoption, death, marriage or divorce records. Such records are made and kept by State and local governments rather than the National Archives.  We suggest that you contact the Office of Vital Records for the state in which they resided or the appropriate State archives or historical society to request a search for the birth, adoption, marriage, or death records of your ancestor in order to confirm their parentage.   We also suggest that you contact the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county the adoption took place for early adoption records, which may be contained in probate records and guardianship records.


            The National Archives only has custody of records created by the federal government that document Tribal Nations during American nationhood, and even then records are sparse until the mid 19th century. Most Native Americans were forced to leave during the 1700's, when eastern tribes were being displaced by colonial expansion. Since those who remained may have been assimilated into European-American society, they were not documented in the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) records.  We suggest that you review NARA’s Native American Heritage as well as the FamilySearch Research wiki for Indigenous Peoples of the United States Genealogy


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!