1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 26, 2021 11:01 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking ships log for USS Dyson (DD-572)


      My father RDM3C, Thomas J. Roan was Transferred off the Dyson after hostilities stopped (June 1945?), to another ship. He didn't have enough time to return home. I would like to know what ship he was transferred to.

        • Re: Seeking ships log for USS Dyson (DD-572)
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Mr. Roan,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1939 - 1/1/1949, Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel, 1798 - 2007 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the muster rolls of the USS Strong (DD-758), 8/7/42-5/8/47. A record of Thomas J. Roan RM3e(T), service number 2492171 is located on image 311 for September 2-9, 1945. We also located the muster rolls of the USS Dyson, but were unable to locate him on the rolls between March - 1 September 1945. For additional assistance, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email Archives2reference@nara.gov.


          This series consists of muster rolls and associated reports of changes. Muster rolls are quarterly lists of enlisted naval personnel formally attached to each ship, station, or other activity. Muster rolls typically contain the surname, given name, and middle initial of each individual, as well as their rating (occupational specialty), service number, and the date the individual reported to the activity (date reported on board). Muster rolls sometimes also include the day, month, year, and place of enlistment.

          For a listing of permanent assignments, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Please include his service number and dates of service with your request.  For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!



          Holly Rivet