2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2021 10:52 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking naturalization certificate of Alfredo Carmen Yetta

    Alfred Yetta Newbie

      Greetings, I am seeking information about my grandfather's naturalization records. His name was Alfredo Carmen Yetta. He came in the Sobieski Ship in 1948 from Italy to New York to New Orleans, LA. I searched on myheritage & geneologybank but I could not find anything about his naturalization. Also, I want to know if he renounced his citizenship in Italy? Thanks in advance.

        • Re: Seeking naturalization certificate of Alfredo Carmen Yetta
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          Alfred Yetta was recommended for naturalization on 1 Sep 1954 at the US District Court Eastern District of Louisiana. 

          Second to last on this page of the list:

          His petition for naturalization should be at the Ft. Worth Texas branch of the national archives https://www.archives.gov/fort-worth

          • Re: Seeking naturalization certificate of Alfredo Carmen Yetta
            Cara Jensen Tracker

            Dear Mr. Yetta,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            As the previous poster noted,  your grandfather’s naturalization may have taken place in a Federal court in Louisiana.  If this is so, the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW) should have a copy of both his declaration and petition within their holdings, We suggest you contact RM-FW via email at ftworth.archives@nara.gov to request a copy of these records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-FW.   We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).


            Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.


            Foreign citizenship is renounced/forfeited if the individual completes the naturalization process in the United States. Immigration into the U.S. does not equate to a change in citizenship status. If your grandfather naturalized, the records will reflect the forfeiture of his Italian citizenship. 


            We also suggest that you review NARA’s Naturalization Records website and the FamilySearch Research wiki United States Naturalization and Citizenship for an overview of the naturalization process.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!