certificate of enrollment 1800s

how do I find a certificate of enrollment for the San Ildefonso Tewa tribe from the 1800s for Juan D Roybal's rival to enroll in a tribe you need proof of enrollment


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!
    We have conducted a search for the records you seek, but we have been unable to locate an individual 1800s series for certificate of enrollment records of the San Ildefonso Tewa tribe at the National Archives at Washington D.C.. Other information—if it exists—may be dispersed elsewhere among the records but identifying all potential records will require more detailed research than we are staffed to provide. 
    In the meantime we would recommend the Indian Census Rolls, 1885–1940 (Microfilm M595) in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) may be a good place to start. These rolls include individuals and families who maintained a formal connection with federally recognized American Indian tribes, although there is not a census for every tribe for every year. For more information about the records, including ways to access them online, see the National Archives page on Indian Census Rolls.
    There are also records related to correspondence in NARA Microfilm Publication T21, Records of the New Mexico Superintendency of Indian Affairs, 1814–1880, which is digitized in the catalog at: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/215869014. The Pueblo de San Ildefonso fell within the jurisdiction of the New Mexico Superintendency of Indian Affairs between approximately 1850 and the mid-1870s. 
    Lastly, you may find information in our general BIA Correspondence Files for the Time Period: 1800–1823 and Time Period: 1824–1907 (which are digitized): https://www.archives.gov/research/native-americans/bia/correspondence. (these records have been digitized)
    Please note: when embarking on Native American genealogy, please note that the records in the custody of NARA often only detail those living on the reservations or being administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. If an ancestor was Native American and left the reservation or did not have interaction with the United States Government as such, they will not be recorded in NARA’s records and tracing their genealogy may be difficult.
    For more information on individual families found within our Native American records or for tips on genealogical research, please visit our website: Researching an Individual or Family | National Archives or Start Your Genealogy Research | National Archives
    We hope this assists you with your research!

    Archives 1 Reference Branch (RR1R)