I keep running into a dead-end using Ancestry.com when trying to locate information about my Great Grandmother...here's what I know:
- My dad was raised by his mom & step-dad...he never knew his real father
- My dad's real father was born in 1920 and died in Nacogdoches, TX in 1993. Various records have conflicting information about his birth...census records and social security records show he was born in either CA, AR or MO
- Some census records show my dad's father listed as "adopted son," whereas others just say "son"
- When my dad was young (7 - 8 years old) his mom took him to a reservation in OK so he could meet his grandmother (his real dad's mom) - they spent a couple days there, but that was the only time he ever met his real grandma
- My dad is now older and his memory lacks...he can't recall the name of his real grandma, or even what Nation she was (Cherokee, Creek, Choctaw, etc.)
- My dad's grandma, the one I'm trying to track down (my great grandma) would have been one of at least 5 wives to my dad's grandpa
- I know the name of my dad's grandpa (the one who was married at least 5 times) and he was supposedly a Justice of the Peace in St. Louis, MO, although I cannot find any information to confirm this
In the end, I'm unable to verify the following information:
- The birth record for my dad's real father (including place of birth and name of mother)
- The name of my dad's grandma
And, without having the information listed in the two bullets above, I'm unable to research my great grandma's heritage, nation / tribe, what reservation she lived on, etc.