Grandfather was in ww2 and trying to find boat he was on and battles he was in

His name was Elmond Wayne Anderson looking for as much information I can get on his Service in Navy

  • It appears from muster rolls, that Elmond Wayne Anderson enlisted in the US Naval Reserves on May 17, 1943 in Columbia, SC. He reported aboard USS YP 332 on February 17, 1944 as a Seaman 2nd class. His service #8293755

    "YP" ships were patrol and training craft. 

  • Hello  

    Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

    To get started with your research, we would recommend that you request his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for Navy enlisted personnel who were separated from the service after January 1, 1886 (January 1, 1903 for officers) are serviced by NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis.

    You'll want to complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.  If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF).

    Veterans and next of kin of deceased veterans may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Please note that next of kin of a deceased veteran must provide proof of death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

    Archival OMPFs, those that are 62 years and older, may also be requested by visiting the Archival Research Room at the National Archives at St. Louis. Please email for further assistance prior to making an appointment.

    We hope this helps with your research!