Looking for logs and/or service info on USS Fuller from 1942. Why is the ship/transport not listed in the archive?

USS Fuller, 1942, Guadalcanal  

How can I locate service records and logs?

I do not find the ship listed in the archive and do not find my father's name listed in the Navy Memorial?


    Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

    This is in response to your inquiry to the National Archives regarding your request for information related to the USS Fuller (APA-7)  during the World War 2 era.

    Records in our custody contain a number of files that include information on your topic. We regret that we are not staffed to conduct the extensive research necessary to identify all pertinent records relating to your request within the suggested record groups and their record series.  We would be happy to make them available to you or your representative in our research room.  

    Should you be unable to come to the National Archives you may wish to hire a professional researcher.  We are attaching a link to a list of some of these researchers. https://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help

    To make an appointment to visit the National Archives, please visit the Textual Research Room Appointments page if you are interested in accessing textual records. 

    All researchers must register for a NARA Researcher Card. Researchers are further encouraged to pre-register in advance of a visit. This process consists of two parts, including completing the Online Researcher Orientation and Online Kiosk Registration

    In regards to your father’s Naval service we recommend that you obtain his Official Military Personnel File. Please see the following information on how to do so;

    The medical and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) of Enlisted Personnel of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to February 1, 1994 and Officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from service after 1902 and prior to February 1, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  You may apply online at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/. Or you can download Standard Form 180 (SF-180) and send in your request via postal mail.

    To download an SF-180 please visit our website at the following: https://www.archives.gov/files/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf

    For a complete copy of a personnel file, in Section II, on the line for "Other" (Specify), write "Complete copy of every page of personnel file - not an extract."

     For information regarding access to medical records please visit http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/general-public-clinical.html

    If you have a follow up request please send your request to archives2reference@nara.gov. We hope you find this information useful in conducting your research.

    Thank you for your email to the National Archives.


    Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)

    RR2RR 24-44522-EJT