How do I get my medical records?

I was raised in the Marine Corps. I'm trying to get my hands my shot records for nursing school. How do I get a copy?

  • Dear Jennifer Pinder,

    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) stores inpatient, outpatient, dental and mental health records created at Naval medical treatment facilities. Some record collections date from the 1940s and 1950s, but more comprehensive information exists beginning in the 1960s. Naval facilities transfer the Dependent Medical Folders (DMFs) to NPRC, generally after 1-5 years of inactivity.

    If possible, contact the last medical treatment facility to determine if records have been retired to the NPRC before sending a request. If they did, then send your request to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


    We hope this is helpful.