How can I find the service record of an uncle who died during World War 2 in Brussels

My Uncle Henry Marsicano died in Brussels during World War 2. How an I find his service record?

  • Hello  

    Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

    We recommend that you request your uncle's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) from the National Military Personnel Record Center in St. Louis.

    In general, OMPFs for military personnel who were separated from the service between 1912 and 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued.

    For the location of all service records organized by branch and year, please see the following link:

    You'll want to complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.  If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF).

    Veterans and next of kin of deceased veterans may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Please note that next of kin of a deceased veteran must provide proof of death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

    Archival OMPFs, those that are 62 years and older, may also be requested by visiting the Archival Research Room at the National Archives at St. Louis. Please email for further assistance prior to making an appointment.

    Special Note: if Henry Marsicano was in the army, he should also have an Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF) which may have additional information about the circumstances of his death and burial. These files were NOT affected by the 1973 fire.

    At this current time, IDPFs from 1940-1976 for U.S. Army personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RRPO). For more information about these records, please contact RRPO via email at

    Additionally, some IDPFs for WWII army personnel have been digitized and are available to search and browse on the National Archives Catalog

    We hope this helps with your research!