Verification of veterans service in order to honor them by placing their names on a monument.

I am currently leading a community project to erect a monument to honor veterans from a small Ohio town. This is a community project and veterans names are being submitted by those in the community. I have been attempting to verify the service of those names (approx 95) being submitted. The names will be engraved on a large granite stone which will be located in the center of our small town on November 10, 2024. One of the names submitted is Corbit Brown, who is believed to have served in WWI. I am interested in how to go about verifying all of my veterans, but especially the service of our oldest known veteran - Corbit Brown. I would appreciate any guidance or direction. 

I am a Marine combat veteran and a retired peace officer (30 years). 


    Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

    Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) are in the custody of the The National Personnel Records Center. Without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) can only release limited information from the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to the general public.  


    The type of information releasable to the general public from Federal (non-archival) records is dependent upon whether or not a person is requesting information under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or has access authorization from the veteran or next-of-kin. You can find out more by following this link:

    We invite you to continue the conversation with community members on History Hub, but should you have follow up questions for the staff at Archives II, please email us at so that we can assist you further. 

    We hope this assists you with your research! 


    Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)

    [RR2RR 24-11576LT]