Eugene Setser

Where did he fight in ww2


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    In order to be able to assist you in determining where your relative, Eugene Setser, served during World War II, we would first need to know the unit(s) to which he was assigned during the conflict. The first step in this process would be to obtain a copy of his official military personnel file (OMPF).


    Military service personnel files and individual medical reports for the period in which you are interested are in the custody of the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. To submit a request via Postal Mail please use the Standard Form 180 (SF-180): Request Pertaining to Military Records to submit your request. You should complete and mail the form to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You may also apply online on our Request Military Service Records webpage.  Please be aware that there was a fire at the Records Center in 1973 and some records were destroyed.


    The Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR) has custody of the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917- (Record Group 407) and the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338).  Military unit files among these records consist mostly of historical reports, after action reports, unit journals, and general orders. These records do not include personnel information, nor do we have a name index to these records.


    History files and operations (or “after action”) reports tend to be narrative accounts of unit actions either by the year or month, respectively. Journal files (a.k.a. “daily diaries”) are usually daily and hourly accounts. The journal files are usually written in pencil. Sometimes they list incoming and outgoing messages, and sometimes they include brief descriptions of information. If you are interested in an overview of unit activities, you may wish to concentrate on the histories and operations reports. However, if you are interested in actions covering a few specific days, journal files may prove of value to your research.


    General orders, as referenced above, do include information about the official bestowal of medals on individual service personnel. However, these records are arranged by unit, thereunder by date and thereunder by general order number. We would need this information to search our records. If you have a copy of his discharge certificate, this information might be included therein.


    Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757; Phone: 314-801-0850; Fax: 314-801-9187; email:  There are two types of records: the ledgers and the cards.  The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy.  The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication that the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please use the enclosed form to request a search of these records.


    World War II U.S. Army Enlistment Records are in the custody of the Electronic Records Division (RDE) and are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at:  Click on "World War II" under the category section. A list of the databases relating to WWII will appear and select the first database to search the WWII U.S. Army Enlistment Records.


    We invite you to continue the conversation with community members on History Hub, but should you have follow up questions for the staff at Archives II, please email us at so that we can assist you further. 

    We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!




    Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)