Trying to locate a Vietnam War veteran from Detroit

Trying to locate a Vietnam War veteran from Detroit - he was my mother's penpal while she was in high school via  a school-arranged program.  All we know is his name is Don, he is from Detroit, likely born between 1944-47.  We also know that he did make it back to Michigan.  I have a few photos of him if anyone has any ideas how I might track him down?  My mother would love to reach out to him, if he was open to it.  Thank you!

  • Dear  

    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub. 

    The National Archives does not retain or share the personal addresses or locations of discharged veterans to the general public. If you would like to file a FOIA request for the veteran's service record, you may do so. 

    You may submit a FOIA request for a service member’s Official Military Personnel File. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. FOIA requesters may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. When submitting your request, please indicate that you are requesting information under the Freedom of Information Act. 

    Requesters receive the following details when requesting under FOIA:


    Branch of Service

    Dates of Service

    Duty Status

    Final Rank / Grade

    Source of Commission

    Assignments and Geographical Locations

    Military Education

    Decorations and Awards

    Place of Entry

    Place of Separation

    Place of Birth (if veteran is deceased)

    Date of Death (if veteran is deceased)

    Location of Death (if veteran is deceased)

    Place of Burial (if veteran is deceased)

    For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. For more information on FOIA and NARA, see FOIA Resources