Employment verification for PSLF

I have spent the last year trying to figure out how to get employment verification for working as a GS in Naples, Italy in 2013.  Will the SF-50 records provide dates of employment?


    Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

    Your SF-50s should be in your Official Personnel File (OPF) and should include all of your federal employment information.

    According to the Office of Personnel Management’s web page, OPM - Frequently Asked Questions, it typically takes 120 days from the date of separation for a former employee’s OPF to be transferred to the National Archives and Records Administration’s Civilian Personnel Records Center, or CPR, which is located in Valmeyer, Illinois. If it has not been 120 days since your separation, contact the Human Resources department of your former agency for help.

    If it has been 120 days or more, OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center Annex. Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The fax number is 618-935-3014. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. Certain information in the OPF may not be available to the general public without the written consent of the individual. 

    If a SF-50 is required for employment opportunities and is needed immediately, please indicate on the outside of the envelope that the request is urgent or an emergency. Emergency requests may also be faxed to 618-935-3095, but your request must contain the reason for the emergency/urgency. An employment opportunity may qualify as an emergency if there is a deadline for submission.

    According to the Civilian Personnel Record Frequently Asked Questions page, for help or immediate assistance, you may contact:

    National Personnel Records Center:

    Telephone: 314-801-0800*

    Fax: 618-935-3014 or 618-935-3019

    *NPRC Customer Service Line is a long-distance call for most customers.  Peak calling times are weekdays between 10:00 a.m. CST and 3:00 p.m. CST. Staff is available to take your call as early as 7:00 a.m. and as late as 5:00 p.m. CST.

    You may also contact the National Personnel Records Center, Annex to check the status of an existing SF-50 request via email at cpr.center@nara.gov

    Please note that if you are a current Federal employee, you will have an electronic Official Personnel File (eOPF), which will include a copy of your SF-50. Please contact your servicing Human Resources (HR) office or personnel department within the federal agency or organization you work for. These offices will provide you with information on how to access and use eOPF. If you are unable to access your eOPF, contact the eOPF Help Desk by phone at 1-866-275-8518 or email eopfhelpdesk@opm.gov 

    For more information, please check the Official Personnel Folders (OPF),Federal (non-archival) Holdings and Access website and review the blog The SF 50: That Elusive Form Everyone Needs ASAP.

    We hope this is helpful.

    Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR) 
    National Archives at College Park, MD