• Dear Mr. Butler,


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    The "official" photographs of individuals are not considered permanent federal records by the respective military services and are not retained in separate collections by the services. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


    We suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Air Force before October 1, 2004 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans may also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


    Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for those who separated/retired from the U.S. Air Force on or after October 1, 2004 or who are actively serving (including National Guard), please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 request for personnel records. The form may be emailed to Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC/DP1OR Military Records Incoming) at; faxed to 210-565-3124 (DSN 665-3124); or mailed to the Air Force Personnel Center, HQ AFPC/DPSIRP, 550 C Street West, Suite 19, Randolph Air Force Base, TX 78150-4721. They also are available in electronic format via


    Generally speaking, military yearbooks are also not considered permanent federal records by the various branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and, therefore, are not usually found in the holdings of the National Archives (NARA). We suggest that you contact the Air Force Historical Research Agency for further assistance. You may also wish to review online resources such as The Military Yearbook Project or the Military Yearbooks collection available from Fold3. Please note that there may be a fee for using Fold3. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to such sites, making them free for their patrons.


    We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!