Seeking military records for Elwin McGee

I am in search of my father's military records. His name is Elwin McGee DOB 10/29/19. Born in Wisconsin. He served in WWII. He was in the army stationed in Germany in 1947. Any help would be appreciated.

  • Regina,

    Here is some additional information below, please also note that when he registered for service they used Elwyn McGee. Looks like he may have had two enlistments. Here is a 1938 Indian Census as well.

    Name:Elwyn McGee
    Race:American Indian (American)
    Marital status:Married
    Rank:Technician 4th Grade Equivalent to Code 5: Sergeant
    Birth Year:1919
    Nativity State or Country:Wisconsin
    Residence:Shawano, Wisconsin
    Education:Grammar school
    Civil Occupation:Skilled occupations in manufacture of electrical machinery and accessories, n.e.c.
    Enlistment Date:5 Nov 1945
    Enlistment Place:Chicago, Illinois
    Service Number:06933014
    Branch:Air Corps
    Component:Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)

    He was with the 228th Engineer Battalion, Company C

    Name:Elwin McGee
    Birth Date:29 Oct 1919
    Death Date:18 May 1972
    Enlistment Date 1:3 Jun 1939
    Release Date 1:9 Mar 1949
    Enlistment Date 2:5 Nov 1945
  • Dear Ms. Montoya,


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


    Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


    We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

  • Elliot,

    Thank you so much for the documents. I put in a records request over a month ago but it's still waiting to be processed and it may be awhile. I am wondering if there is any quicker way to get information on where Elwin McGee was stationed. Specifically any documents related to being stationed in Canada in 1941 or 1942 and being stationed in Germany in 1946 to 1948. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!