WW2 Army Service Details - European Theater

I’ve been trying to find information on my Dad’s uncle. His name was Robert Joseph Hanley though some records list him as Joseph Robert Hanley. He was from Lackawanna, NY, born Aug 19, 1923 and KIA on March 14, 1945. I found a death record on Fold 3 that shows he was with the 3rd Army but as far as I can tell, his records burned in the 1973 fire. Is there anywhere else I can search to find anything out about his service or where he died?

  • For soldiers who were Killed in Action, those files were not affected by the 1973 fire. They are called Individual Deceased Personnel Files (IDPFs.) 

    From a previous post on History hub: "Individual Deceased Personnel Files (IDPFs) from 1940-1976 for U.S. Army personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL.)For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. RL-SL has not yet received digital images for these files; however, they can be scanned individually as they are requested. If you order one of these files, RL-SL will provide digital copies of the record via OneHub and charge the fee via Pay.gov. Please do not submit a Standard Form 180 to NPRC for IDPFs as they do not handle these requests."

  • Thank you so much! I appreciate the help - and so quickly!

Reply Children
No Data