WWII Unit Information

My father, Chester M. Rahschulte, served in WWII. Originally I believe he was in the 104th Infantry but later served with the 1Bn. 414th Infantry. I understand that his individual personnel records were lost in the July 1973 file so I'm looking for information regarding his units.


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    The Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR) has custody of the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917- (Record Group 407) and the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338).  Military unit files among these records consist mostly of historical reports, after action reports, unit journals, and general orders. These records do not include personnel information, nor do we have a name index to these records.


    General orders, as referenced above, do include information about the official bestowal of medals on individual service personnel. However, these records are arranged by unit, thereunder by date and thereunder by general order number. We would need this information in order to search our records. If you have a copy of his discharge certificate, this information might be included therein.


    We have searched our available finding aids for the relevant series in the abovementioned record groups for records of 414th Infantry Regiment, One Hundred Fourth U.S. Infantry Division during World War II and found the following records:


    Record Group 407

    Entry (NM3) 427

    Boxes 12000-12005 (6 boxes)


    It is generally the case that company- and battalion-level records are not encountered among the infantry unit records in our custody. It is likely that the information contained in these records was collated and included in the regimental and divisional reports. To be sure, individual battalions and companies can (and often are) referenced in these higher-level records.


    We invite you to continue the conversation with community members on History Hub, but should you have follow up questions for the staff at Archives II, please email us at archives2reference@nara.gov so that we can assist you further. 

    We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!




    Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)