Seeking grandfather's WWII service records

Hi, through I have a copy of my grandfather's WWII registration card. In red type at the top, it lists "12-15-45 Ind. Army" and "12-24-46 Hon. Disc". His enlistment record shows he was enlisted at Turlock, CA and his rank was private, no branch assignment, regular army component. My question is whether there is a way to find out where he was during that year? The war was over. I thought maybe he was at Turlock decommissioning the place, but would love to know where he actually was. I do have his SSN, but when I looked into military records, it appears that I'm not a direct relative so can't request records. Maybe I'm wrong? Thank you for any guidance you might have.

  • Dear Ms. Berg,


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. If his record is more than 62 years old, the record is considered archival and is accessible by any member of the general public. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


    Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


    We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!