Seeking records of 111th Engineers Combat Battalion

Hi, I’m trying to decipher my father’s WWII record: he passed away when I was young so I never got a chance to discuss it with him. I’m interested in finding out what he did — I’ve no idea what HQ and Service Co,111th Engineers C BN did or where it operated. Nor do I completely understand what medals, etc. he received. I do know that Bronze Stars were awarded en masse by the time the war ended in the ETO but beyond that I’m lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I have - Date Entered: 15 April 1941; Discharged: 31 December 1945; HQ and Service Co 111th Engineers C BN; Military Occupation and Number: Message Center Chief 674; Rank: Sergeant, conferred 20 January 1943; Combat Infantry Badge.   Expert Thompson Sub Machine Gun; To ETO: departed 18 January, arrived 29 January 1944; To USA: departed 13 December, arrived 25 December 1945; Campaigns and Battles: Normandy, Northern France; Decorations and Citations: Distinguished Unit Badge, Meritorious Unit Award, American Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal, European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 2 Bronze Service Stars, Good Conduct Medal, World War II Victory Medal.

  • Mr. Bradley,

    Here is some information below, but I've noticed that you may benefit from speaking to Ms. Lisa Sharik she is actually an deputy director. She is located at the Texas Military Forces Museum and may see your post and respond, recommend speaking with her

    Hope this helps,


  • Mr. Bradley:

    The 111th Engineer Battalion is part of the 36th Infantry Division, however the 36th does not take part in Normandy or Northern France campaigns during WWII. We land in Southern France on August 15, 1944.

    It is possible at some point your father was part of the 111th Engineer Battalion but that he transferred to another unit or that he transferred to the 111th at the end of the war.

    I have no one with the last name Bradley who served with the 111th Engineers during WWII in my card files but they are not official military and omissions due occur. What is his name? and I will check our card files of WWII soldiers.

    Lisa Sharik

    Deputy Director

    Texas Military Forces Museum

  • Dear Ms. Bradley,


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 111th Engineer Combat Battalion, 36th Infantry Division during WWII. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at


    If you have not already done so, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


    Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


    You may wish to review the Texas Military Forces Museum article for the lineage and honors of the 111th Engineer Regiment that became the 111th Engineer Combat Battalion.


    We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


  • I suggest that you examine the 111th Engineer Combat Battalion roster and After Action Reports provided on the Texas Military Forces Museum website (  Examination of the roster will establish his assigned unit .  You can search the pdf file for the After Action Reports to establish the activities of the 111th Engineers Combat Battalion.