Seeking official list of WWII Distinguished Flying Cross recipients

According to newspaper reports my Dad, David E. Harnly, received a Distinguished Flying Cross for his participation in medium bomber combat missions over the coast of France during WWII. I've been trying to find an official record of the award but have not had any luck.  Any suggestions on where to look?

Parents Reply

    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    For former Air Force (including Army Air Corps) personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Air Force department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting verification of medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at Request Military Service Records or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other." 


    We also suggest that you call (334) 953-5697 or write to the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424 for access to the general orders announcing your late uncle's awards.

    We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!



    Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)

    RR2RR 24-41700-LR

No Data