1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2019 12:36 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Location of Medical Records of WWI Relative


      I have a set of World War I discharge papers issued at Camp Travis, TX I that state that a relative was honorably discharged from the U.S. Army "by reason of Hysteria Major" before ever being sent to France. What is this diagnosis and what does it mean? Are there medical records that I could search to find out more about this relative and the circumstances of his discharge and if so, where are they located? Thanks.

        • Re: Location of Medical Records of WWI Relative
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. McNeely,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO  63138. 


          We hope this is helpful.


          1 person found this helpful