1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 5, 2019 10:06 AM by ray byrd

    Am I able to retrieve a veteran military record


      I am looking for an african-american military record for WWI.

        • Re: am i able to retrieved veteran military record
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Byrd,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for service members of the U.S. Armed Forces who served during WWI are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. The email address is stl.archives@nara.gov. The records are considered archival so no family connection is necessary.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          4 people found this helpful