2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2018 1:18 PM by Legislative Archives

    Historical government wide FOIA data


      Does you know where I would find historical government-wide data from the 70s.Would this be in RG 60- General DOJ Records of the AG?

        • Re: Historical government wide FOIA data

          Dear Mr. Williams,


          Here is the response from the Office of Government Information Services:


          "If FOIA reports from the 1970s through the early 1990s still exist, they would likely be at NARA's Center for

          Legislative Archives.


          The 1974 amendments to FOIA required that each agency submit an annual report to the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate reporting seven particular items pertaining to FOIA. The amendments also required that the Attorney General submit an annual litigation report and a description of efforts undertaken by the Department of Justice to encourage agency compliance. (See page 1564 https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-88/pdf/STATUTE-88-Pg1561.pdf)

          The 1996 amendments to FOIA (the Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 1996) changed the reporting requirements so that agencies submit reports to the Attorney General rather than to Congress.. The E-FOIA amendments also expanded the number of data points required for reporting. (See Sec. 10 Report to Congress https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-104publ231/html/PLAW-104publ231.htm)."

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Historical government wide FOIA data
            Legislative Archives Scout

            Dear Matthew -- thank you for posting to History Hub!


            If executive agencies were required to submit annual reports to Congress, then it's possible that we hold a copy of the report in our records. The Center for Legislative Archives holds the official records of congressional committees and the records of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate as a whole.


            In order to locate a specific report, you will need to identify the title of the report, to which committee and chamber the report was referred, and the executive communication number assigned to the report.


            You can find this information in the Congressional Record -- the official record of proceedings and debate on the floor of the House and the Senate. For the 1970s, the Congressional Record is freely available online through GPO's govinfo website. It's also available via HeinOnline, a subscription database generally accessible at local academic or law libraries.


            If you have further questions, you can submit a request directly to the Center for Legislative Archives by emailing legislative.archives@nara.gov.




            3 people found this helpful