2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2018 3:07 PM by Alex Daverede

    Camp Lejeune water


      I am seeking records of residency, for Tarawa Terrace Housing  between the years of 1981 and 1983. I resided there between those years and need to validate that information in order to prove i was there. Any help?

        • Re: Camp Lejeune water
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Penny,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog, the Records of Naval Districts and Shore Establishments (Record Group 181), and the Records of the U.S. Marine Corps (Record Group 127) for records of the facility and any rental agreements but were unable to locate the documentation you seek.


          We hope this information is helpful.


          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Camp Lejeune water

            Mr. Penny,


            I've checked an older version of the Navy Records Management instruction (SECNAVINST 5212.5C Change 3 from 20 December 1989, which the Marine Corps also used) to see what the records retention policy is for Occupant Information files (Standard Subject Identification Code (SSIC) 11101. 


            Under "Occupant Information" is the following:


            "A record of occupancy will be kept for each set of quarters.  Information on each permanent occupancy record will include the occupant's name, pay grade, date assigned, date vacated, and any remarks necessary for future reference."  The disposition for these records is "Destroy when no longer required."


            Under "Other Occupancy Information" is the following:


            "In addition to the information relating to the permanent occupancy history record, other information pertaining to the occupancy of Government quarters.  This information will include copies of the forms for Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ) termination or reinstatement, notice of intent to vacate, supporting documentation for any actions affecting that particular occupant, such as mandatory assignment or eviction, and all individual correspondence between the occupant and the housing organization."  The disposition for this category of records is "Destroy 3 fiscal years following close of fiscal year in which lease terminates, lapses, or cancellation occurs."


            Unfortunately the records you seek were deemed temporary records, and, as such, would not be brought into the National Archives. 


            I apologize if you have already done this, but perhaps you can contact the Camp Lejeune Housing Office to see if they have not yet disposed of these records--sometimes agencies are not too efficient in their disposal of temporary records.


            I wish you the best of luck in your search.

            2 people found this helpful