3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2018 11:30 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Silver Star citation report


      My great uncle, John Grove, received the silver star in world war 2.  He was in the U.S. 1st Army, 3rd Armored Division.  He was wounded and received the silver star for his actions as a radio operator in a tank at the Siegfried Line in September, 1944.  I was hoping to find a report detailing the circumstances surrounding his award. 

        • Re: Silver Star citation report
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Grove,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located General Order # 86 dated 5 July 1945 of the 3rd Armored Division (file # 603-1.13) . The general order indicated that Warrant Officer, Junior Grade (WOJG) John Grove (ASN W2119970) was part of the 32nd Armored Infantry Regiment and received the Silver Star for his action on 19 August 1944. We also located after action reports of the 32nd for August 1944 that may provide more information about what the unit was doing during that period (file # 603-INF(32)-0.3).


          For access to and copies of these records, please contact the National Archives in College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          4 people found this helpful
            • Re: Silver Star citation report

              Thank you for your help.  I have contacted the National Archives requesting this information.  We have always believed that all records related to his service were destroyed in a fire in St. Louis...  This gives me hope that there is something to find. 


              Thanks again.

                • Re: Silver Star citation report
                  Elliot Schneider Ranger

                  Mr. Grove,


                  I would also contact the state of Illinois veterans Affairs office, there is a good chance he may have registered his discharge papers within the county in Illinois. Most veterans Affairs office for the state may have his discharge papers on file or in microfilm that you can get a copy of his records.



                  Elliot Schneider

                  1 person found this helpful