2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 10:53 AM by Mary Boyaris

    Where can I find WW2 deferment records?


      Where can I find WW2 deferment records?

      I'm looking to confirm that my Dad was deferred from the draft to build planes and/or engines in Chicago.

      I'd like confirmation that there are records and where I can find them? Chicago, St. Louis or DC?

        • Re: Where can I find WW2 deferment records?
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Boyaris,


          Thank you for posting your question to the History Hub!


          In order to reconstruct military records after the 1973 fire in St. Louis, state and territory local boards sent draft cards and classification ledgers.  Supplementary documents such as school enrollments, medical forms, or special orders were not sent by the Local Boards. Some state archives currently maintain lists and databases of their residents.  It may be worth contacting the state where your father registered for the draft to ask about any draft supplementary documents. 


          You may request his classification ledger from the National Archives at St. Louis.  If he had been deferred for any reason, it will be reflected in the classification ledger.  These documents will only provide the registrant’s classification status for the dates he was required to respond by.  The full list of classifications can be found at the Selective Service System’s website.


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!





          Holly Rivet


          2 people found this helpful