1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 4:54 PM by Ryan Bass

    Access military records for men during WW1


      Where in the NARA are the WW1 personnel records?

        • Re: Access military records for men during WW1
          Ryan Bass Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Leavell,


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Linked is a GSA Standard Form 180 which you should complete and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Or you may apply online at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/


          If you are interested in Navy personnel the same process applies. Best of luck in your research.

          1 person found this helpful