1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2021 2:00 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Would like to replace my grandfather's Purple Heart

    Christie Dimon Newbie

      My Grandfather's purple heart has been lost unbeknownst to us until it was requested.  A large amount of boxes were destroyed when the last of the NOK's ex-wife passed away. My grandfather paid the ultimate price as Ltcdr Charles Otto Michael, on the USS Utah on Dec 7, 1941.  His body has never been recovered due to the hit.  Survivors of the USS Utah are now down to 2. All NOK's have passed away. Thank you

        • Re: Would like to replace my grandfather's Purple Heart
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Dimon,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For former Navy personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Navy department for issuance of the medals. For requesting medals and awards, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


          If you have not done so already, you may also wish to request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports of officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from service after 1902 and before 1959 are located at  NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Plus, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located Navy and Marine Corps Casualty Records, 1898-1970 and  Navy and Marine Corps Casualty Records, 1940-1989  in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that may include a file for your grandfather. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Lastly, there is an unofficial website for the USS Utah that may be of interest.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!