1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 1, 2021 12:34 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking father's clearance records

    Elizabeth Summers Newbie

      What is a Q clearance number, and can I view the file for a specific number? My dad told me he had a Q clearance number during WWII. I have the number, so I would like to see the file that is associated with it. Is that possible?

        • Re: Seeking father's clearance records
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Summers,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If any information about your father’s security clearance during World War II still exists, it would most likely be found in his personnel records. If your father served in the military, then we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          If your father was a federal civilian employee, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity before 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please email RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov and  include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, please check the Official Personnel Folders (OPF), Archival Holdings and Access website.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL still will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Please note that the Department of Energy’s Q clearance is the equivalent of a Department of Defense Top Secret (TS) clearance for accessing restricted data related to nuclear or atomic energy, and it is generally assigned to civilian personnel. The Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), one of the predecessors of the Department of Energy (DOE), was established in 1946 after World War II. Prior to the creation of the AEC, nuclear or atomic research and development would have primarily been under the control of the U.S. Army. Because the Q clearance was established after the war, your father’s security clearance would likely have been called something during the early 1940s.


          The Department of Energy’s website provides some useful information about DOE History, and the US Army Center of Military History also has some information about atomic research and weapons during World War II on their website. We suggest that you contact these organizations for further assistance.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!