4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2021 1:42 PM by Milton Davis Branched to a new discussion.

    Seeking my grandfather's WWII military unit


      I am looking for my grandfather's WWII military unit and records. I have already submitted a request for his DD-214, but I would like to know what area of Europe he was deployed to. What campaigns he participated in? How can I find this?

        • Re: Seeking my grandfather's WWII military unit
          joan stachnik Tracker

          Hi Lawerence, if you would like to post a little bit of information about your grandfather (eg, branch/unit of service, name, birth date) there might be others on this forum who could help.  Otherwise, there might be information on his separation papers regarding campaign awards for his unit.   joan

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking my grandfather's WWII military unit
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Mr. McKinney,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Information on the specific units and campaigns that a veteran served in may be listed in their Official Military Personnel Folder (OMPF). Information on the campaigns and history of a military unit would be provided in the records of each unit. The service branch that your grandfather served in during WWII will determine where you may locate the specific unit records.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from the NPRC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            Once you have a copy of the OMPF and know what unit(s) he served with in Europe, you may begin searching for those unit histories. The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917- (Record Group 407) and the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338).  Military unit files among these records consist mostly of historical reports, after action reports, unit journals, and general orders.  Because the files are arranged hierarchically, identification of the specific unit (i.e., division, regiment, and battalion) and date of interest are necessary before a search can be conducted.  There is no name index to these records.


            We hope this is helpful.


            8 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking my grandfather's WWII military unit
              Joanne Drummond Wayfarer

              If you don’t want to wait for records from the government, you can try Fold3 or Ancestry.com. A lot of libraries offer these services for free too. You will probably get a lot more info from the OMPF mentioned in the response above, but I have found Fold3 and Ancestry to be good resources for my ancestors who were in the military. In fact that’s where I found the application number needed to request ion my great great grandfather’s pension file and the serial numbers for World War II veteran records.

              1 person found this helpful
              • Re: Seeking my grandfather's WWII military unit
                Milton Davis Wayfarer

                Mr. McKinney,

                If you live in a state that paid a WWII bonus to veterans you call or write to the Military Affair Office. Most veterans registered their  discharge papers with the county clerks office. Sometimes it show the last outfit he served in.


                1 person found this helpful