1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2021 10:11 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Obtain a copy of my deceased husband's military benefits to see if I am eligible for discount purchases

    Alice Marsala Newbie

      How to obtain a copy of my deceased husband's Military records to see if I am entitled to discounts when I make purchases.

        • Re: Obtain a copy of my deceased husband's military benefits to see if I am eligible for discount purchases
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Marsala,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives and Records Administration does not have the authority to determine or grant benefits to the widows of veterans.  To obtain assistance or information, we suggest that you contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Benefits Administration.


          Should you need proof of your husband’s service, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Please note that there is no federal standard for offering military discounts on purchases from stores, restaurants and other private businesses. Eligibility and standards for proof of service are determined by the individual corporation.


          We hope this is helpful.