2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2021 7:57 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking father's Bronze Star citation

    Jackie Truelove Newbie

      My father was awarded a Bronze Star during WWII.  He never talked about his time in the war.  I would like to know why he got the award.

        • Re: Seeking father's Bronze Star citation
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Did you ever receive your father discharge papers? If so there should be an area on there that list medals and awards. It is usually listed by for example a General Order# such as  BSM GO 123, 45.

          • Re: Seeking father's Bronze Star citation
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

            Dear Jackie Truelove,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Bronze Star citations are issued at various levels of the military hierarchy. The Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) of a U.S. soldier will list the general order citation that includes the unit or command that issued the award. If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            If your father served in the Army, then series such as Unit Histories, 1943-1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) and the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) may include a General Order in the records for your father’s unit that includes his Bronze Star citation. Similar records exist for other branches of military service. We also searched the National Archives Catalog and located 51 series of "award files" from the 1940s in various record groups that might be useful for your research. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. Please include as much information as possible in your inquiry, including full name, dates of interest, branch of service, and military unit number. There are no name indexes to these records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!