1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 5, 2021 8:06 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking military information pertaining to Joseph Wayne Cook

    Lori Sullivan Adventurer

      My deceased grandfather, Joseph Wayne Cook, told me that there was a time that he served in the military and I was at a young age when he started the interesting military conversation that I was really to young to understand, but I was interested in knowing more. Maybe I just liked to hear my grandpa talk about the old days that I really wasn't comprehending anything that he said at that time. Now that I am older and more understanding as to what my grandfather Joseph Wayne Cook was trying to tell me is that he was out there fighting along with many others at his side for our freedom back in the days. So I am interested and basically wanting to know more of where my grandfather Joseph Wayne Cook was coming from when he spoke of WW II ( If I remember right my grandfather was out on the Navy ship) Any information or photos would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking military information pertaining to Joseph Wayne Cook
          Lisha Penn Ranger

          Dear Ms. Sullivan,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful